This recipe is a Sharon Hunter special!
- 1 onion sliced
- 1/2 cup ginger, sliced into chunks (or can be grated)
- 1/4 cup galangal root, sliced as above
- 2 large lemongrass stalks, cut in half and bashed to release the flavours or use lemongrass paste.
- 10-12 kefir lime leaves whole (easier to remove)
- 4 cups chicken or veggie broth
- 3 large whole chicken breasts (or substitute with 2 pounds crispy Tofu)
- 1 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms (button, shiitake, cremini) or substitute other veggies like bell pepper, snow peas, etc
- 2 x large tomatoes cut in chunks
- 3 cans coconut milk (full fat)
- 2-4 fresh Thai Chilies or add chilli paste to taste at the end. Leave out if you want it kid friendly
- 6 tbsp fish sauce or substitute vegan fish sauce
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- juice of 4 limes
- 3 tbsp of palm, coconut or brown sugar
- one large bunch of coriander chopped up
- Place everything in the instant pot except sugar, lime juice and coriander
- If using chicken breasts set pressure cooker on high for 13 minutes, or 18 minutes for thighs. If using tofu, cook for 7 minutes.
- Let the cooker naturally release (usually it takes 10-15 minutes). Shred the chicken into bite sized pieces using two forks.
- Add the sugar, coriander and lime juice. Taste and adjust salt, lime and spicy heat accordingly.
- Serve with a lime wedge.
Stove Top Cooking:
- Slice the chicken into thin bitesized pieces (across the grain) and season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- In large heavy bottom pot or dutch oven, sauté onion in a little oil over medium heat. Add ginger, lemongrass, lime leaves, galangal and broth. Simmer gently for 5 minutes, letting the broth infuse. Add the chicken and mushrooms (or tofu) and gently poach, simmering for 6-7 minutes or until chicken is just cooked through.
- Stir in the coconut milk, fish sauce, chillies, and salt and bring to a gentle simmer. Add the lime juice and sugar. Taste. Adjust salt and lime and the spice level by adding more chilli paste.
Serve this on its own, over rice or with rice noodles!